Things I’ve Learned, An Addendum
Last week was a tough one. Many ups and downs; tons of news, both good and bad. In that time of reflection, I figured out a few things. I shared them on Twitter (after about a week free of social media) and folks seemed interested. I figure I’ll share it here as well. Here’s what I wrote:
“The last week has been extremely trying. I went from super high highs, to super low lows. And in the meantime, a few lessons were learned.
1. Cleaning and purging are cathartic & necessary. I’ve been holding on to entirely too much of the wrong things. Most are gone now.
2. When you feel down, reach out to people you love and those who love you. They will give you exactly what you need when you need it.
3. I will not always fall on the “right” side of things. Some of the things I want don’t/won’t/can’t make sense. Cognizance is necessary.
4. Being hurt is part of being human. So is hurting others.
5. Intent is a funny word. I may need to revise my definition. I need to learn to be more flexible and understanding. I’m working on it.
6. I will never get used to the feeling of leaving someone in need, or in pain.
7. I have grown. A lot. Now that I’m conscious of it, I need to meditate on 1 Cor. 13:11 for a while.
8. Although I may walk together on “The Path” with people, we all move at our own paces, make pit stops, diverge. I must not begrudge others.
9. I’ve said some really fucked up things. It would be nice to be able to change them, but they will never go away as long as there’s memory
10. Forgiveness is paramount. Period.
11. My conditions may be unreasonable. But they are mine.
12. There are people who believe in me. I have to do more to cherish them. Even to the detriment of those who do not. And that’s ok.
13. I am still the person who people call when they are in trouble. This is my calling. I will continue to fulfill it so long as I’m able.
14. I really, really want what I had back. If I can, I would do better to keep it. If I cannot, I will do well to deal with it.
15. Being stubborn, saying things like “that’s how/what I am” without thought, being unyielding. They have their place. Not in love though.
16. Complacency is the death of the spirit. Find motivation to do/be better.
17. Only take to task the responsible party. Blame can spread like a virus if left unchecked.
18. When/if you find something that works, keep it. Do what you have to but keep it. Opportunity wont wait for you to get your shit together.
19. You are not the only one. Ever. Seek kindred souls. Help each other. Teach each other. Be open to hearing and learning.
20. Writing, while difficult, is cathartic.
21. Sometimes, breaks and pauses are necessary. So are endings. Let each be what they are until/unless they become something different.
22. Family is important. They are also not solely determined by blood. Family is an association. You actually can choose them.
23. One defeat is not the end of the world. So long as you have a tomorrow, you MUST continue.
24. Never hold so tight as to strangle the life out of things. Everything must breathe to prosper.
25. If you need help. If you are hurting. If there’s anything I can do. Any. Thing. I will be here for you. Reach out to me. Please.
That’s it. For now. Back to your regularly scheduled program. ::end transmission::”
If any of this helped you, or could help someone you know, pass it on.